Sunday, June 13, 2010

Quick and Fresh Strawberry Jam

I have been on a berry kick lately, but can you blame me with how amazing the berries are this time of year?!
I thought to myself, what else can I make with some fresh berries? Strawberry Jam it is! Just how my great grandmother use to make it :)


Quick and Fresh Strawberry Jam

Ingredients:
2 lbs of fresh home grown strawberries
3 cups of fine sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
4 medium size jars

Directions:
Gather your 2 lbs. of strawberries and wash them thoroughly. Then, hull the strawberries. The hull is the green leafy top of the strawberry.
Use a sharp knife and cut the strawberry in a circular motion around the green leafy top of the strawberry and into the pale flesh directly underneath. Then, remove the hull and make sure to wash the strawberries again before using.
Place the hulled strawberries into a large bowl. Next, crush the strawberries until it produces a soupy consistency. Then, add the sugar and mix well. Finally, add the lemon juice and stir again well. Quickly jar the strawberries and place in the freezer. Store in freezer until ready to use!



This jam recipe is super quick and easy. Not only to make, but to also store. This recipe is how my great grandmother use to make it. She lived on a tobacco farm in North Carolina and made it with fresh home grown strawberries. If you can, use the home grown strawberries, it makes all the difference in the final result of the jam! Also, when crushing the strawberries, I use my hands, just like my great grandmother did. You really get a great consistency when you use your hands and it is so much more fun to get all that strawberry goo on your hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment