Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Shoes Say it All

Today was a great way to end the week. My whole family got together, and when that happens it is craziness (but in a good way). Not only are there seven of us, but there are four dogs that accompany four out of the five children. My sister and I let our dogs run wild outside for a while.

Here is Lacey posing for the camera...

Here is Lueger, my sister's dog, wanting the stick I am holding in my other arm so badly...

After that we visited my grandpa, my dad's father, at the cemetery. As unusual as it is, the cemetery were my grandparents are buried is absolutely beautiful. The landscape is incredible and some of the structures are unbelievable.

There is such a unique part of the cemetery too. There is a gigantic tree, if you walk back on a hidden path, filled with shoes hanging from the branches. I was confused when I saw all the shoes hanging from the tree. But, the story is, that those who have passed and our now buried in the cemetery, have their shoes hanging on the tree in remembrance. It is such an eerie yet incredible sight. Of course, we had to join in, in such an interesting tradition.


Look at how high up some of the shoes are...makes me wonder how they got up there!

Here is an up close shot of my grandparents' shoes. My grandpa was the ultimate golfer, so the golf shoes definitely had to go up there. He would be out there golfing today, no doubt about it.

I noticed there were tons of combat boots. Just seeing them hanging from the tree, and knowing that men wore those in war, in battle and in struggle, was truly inspirational but very sad.


Where my grandparents are buried, is in an area for those that served in the army. He served in World War II. It was sad visiting where they are buried, but they both lived to be 91 years old and lived lives filled with love, laughter and family. So really, it is a celebration of a long life lived.

After being sentimental, onward to dinner. Of course we made what my dad wanted.

Burgers, Check.

Corn on the Cob, Check.

Fruit Salad, Check.

Giant Dill Pickles, Hello!

A secret to a super tasty fruit salad? Splash some limoncello onto the fruit and mix well. The flavor is out of this world!

Later, there is Chocolate Cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment